Ask,

Custom Search

And You Shall Receive.

03 February 2008

Keyboard

(since i never had much posts with personal pictures, this post will have 12 very personal pictures exposing my very personal friend. Maximum Exposure! you have been warned)

i was never satisfied with the keyboard i was using. its keys were too hard to press on and there were times when i wasn't sure whether or not i have pressed a key. so what happens when a guy gets bored in this situation?

i went to the store room and discovered my favorite keyboard sitting in a corner, dusting away. i picked it up and recalled that i once bought a DIN to PS/2 converter for it so i can use an old keyboard with a newer computer.

i brought the dusty keyboard into the house and searched for the port converter. my heart leaped for joy in finding on my study table. but looking at the keyboard, i decided it needed a good bath. what more can i say when i have seen such a sight. next thing i knew i was holding a screwdriver in my hand and was beginning to open up the poor old keyboard.

after cutting it open, i began to pop each key and wiped it squeaky clean with a damp cloth. not wanting to mess up the key arrangement, i arranged the clean keys in its original positions on the floor. i did all this on the floor by the way.

2 rows done in 20 minutes:

3rd row done in 17 minutes:

4th row in 11 minutes:

numbers and backspace in another 11 minutes:

escape and function buttons in yet another 11 minutes:

13 buttons in 8 minutes:

all keys finished in the next 11 minutes:

spent the next nine minutes cleaning its body with water and soap, scrubbing it to ensure cleanliness:

i placed its innards on the body so can have a 'x-ray' feel of how it looks inside. the brain is at the top right:

a closer look at the brain of my lovely keyboard:

a look at the body from the inside with its keys and partial innards in place after it has dried:
i spent about half an hour just to put the keys back in place.the hardest key to place was the ' enter' key. since it has 2 metal pieces under it, it proved to be a challenge. second hardest was the space bar as it has 1 metal piece. all other pieces had no metal pieces and so was quite easy to reinstate their positions.

but putting the keys wasn't even half way out of the woods. aligning its innards and placing its brains was easy. but after closing it up, it had to be reopened several times to reposition its partial innards under each button. after resisting many times of giving up, i have finally reassembled it.


as you can see it has a DIM port and not a PS/2 port. this is why a converter is essential, which i happen to have. *laughs*

of course, forcing everything into a box is easy but i had to make sure it survived the thorough cleaning otherwise there is no point anyway. i connected it to the converter then to the computer. i typed the letter 'i'. a letter ' i' appeared. yes!!! it's alive! IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!!!

the most comfortable keyboard i had in my life is now alive and in use in my new computer! Muahahahaha... i am typing this with my 'new' old keyboard. cleaning it was hard work but it paid off. i feel so proud of myself just looking at the keyboard that looks like its still brand new. even my typing speed increased. and all done in 2 hours and 45 minutes.

so i decided, since valentine's day promises no present for me (except last year. exchange among friends), i decided that this is an early valentine gift from me to me! what more can i give myself besides the most comfortable keyboard in existance. with keys that are neither too hard now soft, i feel like i don't want to stop typing! this keyboard must have been hand crafted by a god and charmed by night elves. it probably was enchanted by warlocks too.

i love my keyboard. it is my valentine.

1 comment:

  1. Whoa. Thats soo.. pro. I can only clean the surface of a keyboard. xD. I'm a IT noob. you THAT sure you won't be getting any present for Valentines this year? Things might change, despite what you may think of it. ^^

    p/s. hey. my house downstairs de living room has the same type of tiles as yours. LOL. I'm just plain bored.

    ReplyDelete